Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Family Meal: Tagliatelle Carbonara, and a Sweet Potato

Bonzo is sick again--this time with a stomach virus--which is throwing a major kink in my nanowrimo plan. Grrr.

Regardless, I've cooked two quickies from The Family Meal.

For lunch yesterday, I made Sweet Potato with Honey and Cream (pg 304). This is billed as a dessert in the book. This would never satisfy a dessert craving. I thought putting honey and a dab of whipped cream on a sweet potato sounded like a tasty idea, but in the end, it's still just a sweet potato. Nothing special here. My expensive, flavor-packed local honey disappeared into the potato, and the whipped cream melted quickly and didn't contribute much flavor.
Conclusion: Just okay.

If I had payed closer attention to what was actually going on in Tagliatelle Carbonara (pg 290), I may have chickened out. I don't even want to know the calorie count in this thing. Four ounces is a lot of bacon. Brown that, and without draining it, add a whole cup of heavy cream, and simmer for 20 minutes. Mix it with pasta, and at the last second before serving, toss in some egg yolks that have been whisked with a splash of more heavy cream. Top with parmesan. Oh nelly. I added spinach to the pasta, because that makes it healthy. HA!
Don't look so sweet and innocent. I know what you're really made of.
That said, this pasta was fricken delicious. Heavy, but delicious.

Matt, after finishing his own bowl: (Moan). So...full.
Me, still eating: I don't think I'm gonna make it.
Matt: You can't finish it?
Me: (Groan.)
Matt: Don't worry. I'll give it a good home.
Me: You just said you were full.
Matt: So?
Me: You don't have to eat it.
Matt: Having to and wanting to are two different things.

In the end, he decided against finishing mine, but not for any reason relating to his comfort. He's running the San Antonio Marathon this weekend (boggles my mind), and is terrified of catching Charlie's stomach virus. I feel fine, but he figured he wouldn't take any chances, just in case the little bugger's germs are lurking in me, waiting to strike.

Conclusion: Loved it, but I doubt I'll ever make it again. It's a heart attack in a bowl.

Wish me luck that Charlie feels better soon and I can get back on track with my writing. It's hard to do when you're brain dead.

9 comments:

  1. Now this pasta is JUST the sort of thing that makes me think I should start running marathons!!! Because I really could easily finish off a huge bowl myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope the little man gets better soon.
    And every once in a while, it is great to come across one of those meals that you just can't seem to walk away from (heavy cream, bacon & all).
    Have a great weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM!!! I might have to make that next, but I always ruin things by substituting half and half and draining the bacon. haha, I went through a phase where I would have used skim milk and turkey bacon, but doesn't that just sound gross?

    Hope the little one feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like the sound of honey cream, but I don't know if it's enough to make that sweet potato.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear, sorry to hear about Charlie coming down with a bug again. I have one who's also currently under the weather, so I know how you feel. I love sweet potato anything so if you threw yours with the honey and cream my way, I'd devour it without a second thought. Your pasta sounds plain evil but I KNOW it's totally delicious - the ones that look innocent are the best! (pasta-ly speaking).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope he feels better soon and best of luck to the marathon man. I can't even imagine.

    And while that pasta sounds delicious, I know what you mean about those recipes which are TOO good to ever be made again. I generally file them away as something which we would never make again for ourselves, but might break out for company.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That conversation between you and Matt is hilarious! Too bad the sweet potato disappoints. It sounds like such a great idea on paper. I would be tempted too. But that cabonara! OMG so sinfully decadent yet so unhealthy....

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL - sometimes you have to throw caution to the wind and just go with it. Sounds delicious! Hope Charlie gets well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too funny....yup, a heart attack on a plate, but so worth it for one night! I may have to sacrifice a night of my life, too :)

    ReplyDelete