Thursday, July 5, 2012

FFwD: Blueberry Mascarpone Roulade

When I saw this month's French Fridays with Dorie recipes, I thought that Blueberry Mascarpone Roulade would make an excellent 4th of July cake, and from that moment on, my brain remembered the schedule as having this cake due this week instead of next. The recipe that was actually on the schedule for this friday is Ginger Pickled Cucumbers. Can you blame me for swapping? Where's the celebration in cucumber salad?

I'll make the cucumbers for next week. For now, roulade...
Hello, my Precious.
The cake took longer to make than I expected it to. Charlie kept interrupting me. I didn't have as much confectioner's sugar as I needed, and my mom had just used up the heavy cream, so cake construction was delayed by a trip to the store. Fortunately, the cake had to sit, rolled up in a towel, until it was room temp. Mine sat for several hours longer than that, and turned out just fine. I did not realize that, once assembled, the cake then has to sit for another two hours in the fridge. My bad.

I was worried at the outset, because the sponge cake does not include any flavoring. No vanilla, no lemon. Nothing. It turned out just right, though. It's the perfect texture and weight to stand up to the mascarpone/whipped cream/berry combo.

This cake was so, so delicious, and rich enough that one small slice was perfectly satisfying. I had no impulse to go back for seconds. After stubbornly refusing to taste it for a good fifteen minutes, Charlie snuck a bite, then inhaled the rest of his slice.

This cake has a fancy, dress-up occasion feel to it. I'm going to have to make it again in the future, because my husband, the berry fanatic, would have flipped over it.

10 comments:

  1. Beautifully done!!! Can't wait to try this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for giving us a preview of next week's recipe. I'd totally go for your roulade over the cucumbers anytime! And btw, what's wrong with you?! I'd help myself to seconds and thirds, but you know I'm greedy when it comes to desserts ;)).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to know how next week's recipe works! I bought my blueberries today. I think you're going to like the ginger pickles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I was a bit worried about this one because it looks so complicated to put together. But yours looks perfect! Well done. You have given me a bit of courage, and a reminder to check my cupboard for powdered sugar. Wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful :-)
    I made this on the 4th - when I left for work on the 5th, there was almost a full cake. When I came home, the girls had finished it :-(
    The leftover blueberry syrup made great cocktails & spritzers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the leftover syrup WAS good. I added it to two big glasses of seltzer, and then dumped it so that I didn't drink the rest of it in one day. It would have made an amazing cocktail.

      Delete
  6. YUM. I can't wait to make the roulade!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You give me hope that mine will turn out as good looking as yours. I am taking it to work on Friday to celebrate Bastille Day for a co-worker who has terminal cancer. It's a farewell party for a French fanatic who can't make it to Paris this summer. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that I've made it I have to say this really is good! My cake ended up sitting over night rolled in a towel. Still turned out fine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to see your roulade turned out so perfectly gorgeous! I've never been fond of making jelly rolls yet I don't recall turning down an offer for a slice. :) I hope the next time you make this cake it'll be just as enthusiastically received as this one!

    ReplyDelete