Thursday, March 15, 2012

FFwD: Spicy Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup

Look at me, banging out my French Fridays with Dorie catch-up recipes. February and March's schedules were packed with recipes that I've already made on my own. The general reaction to the cheese souffle, which was this week's recipe, was that it tasted like an omelette. No one was impressed. If Dorie provided any variations on the basic recipe, I would have tried one of those. She didn't, so I made Spicy Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup (pg 98 of Around My French Table) instead.

I don't know why I avoided this recipe for so long. I think the photo in the book makes it look complicated, with lots of components. In reality, this soup was super easy. All you really have to do is poach a chicken breast in broth, coconut milk, and an assortment of spices. Shred the chicken, add cooked rice noodles, then top with the garnishes of your choice. The only ingredients I had to buy were mint and a chicken breast. Everything else was in my pantry/vegetable bin.
It was a nice, unremarkable soup. Nothing that I'd crave, but a good recipe to have tucked away for some day when I need to use up ingredients. I found it a little difficult to eat because the noodles were so long. If I make it again, I'll know to break up the noodles before it goes in the pot. My one complaint is that Matt and I were both hungry again within an hour after dinner. He thought the soup should be an appetizer, not a full meal.

Conclusion: Liked it.

13 comments:

  1. Hmmmmm. I have yet to catch up to this one - the ingredient list kind of scared me off...
    I hate dinners that leave you wanting another dinner :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I remember this soup! I thought it was pretty good but not something I have made again yet. Lots of fun flavors though, and who doesn't love slurping up some noodles? :)

    Thank you so much for your review of the cheese souffle, I haven't made it yet and was still hemming and hawing about it. We are not eggy dish fans and if it has an omelette flavor I would be so mad at myself for wasting that gruyere! Maybe I will try a mini.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lovely spring soup. It is a good one to catch up on, but don't miss out in the souffle...it's great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've made this three times already. A favorite of my nephew so who am I to say 'thats enough'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've inspired me as I've skipped this recipe as well. I'll have to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the sort of soup I like to fiddle around with. Does she have you add a squirt of lime juice at the end? I feel like that would really add some oomph.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't wanted to do this soup either. Thanks for diving in and reporting back. At least now I won't feel bad for skipping it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm... I'll have to try the soup too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also avoided this one but ended up loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I appreciated your making this soup. I haven't made it either and now will. For sure. Thank you. By the way, I love reading your Posts on Indian food. I do a little of this wonderful ethnic cuisine and have one of her cookbooks, but other, easier recipes, shove it out of the way. So, good for you for helping me grow. Mary Hirsch http://www.lightsonbrightnobrakes.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I added a pinch of cayenne to my souffle...which gave a nice zing of flavor :) I liked this soup, too...thanks for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I forgot about that soup. I remember being surprised I liked it more than I thought I would. I made next week's cookies before (many times), but I can't wait to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The soup looks yummy. I am surprised you two were hungry again an hour later. It looks hearty. I will have to cook this one up.

    ReplyDelete