Thursday, May 17, 2012

FFwD: Double Chocolate Banana Tart

I stalled as long as I could before making Double Chocolate Banana Tart, not because I didn't want to eat it, but because I didn't want to make it. In my brain, a fully baked chocolate tart shell + caramelized bananas + chocolate ganache + sliced bananas + glaze = lots and lots of work. Fortunately, my brain was wrong.

The dough for the shell whirs together in no time in the food processor. Then it's pressed into the tart shell, which is waaaay easier than rolling one out and hoping it fits.

All you do to caramelize banana is to cook slices in sugar. Boom. Done.

Chocolate ganache? That's just boiling heavy cream mixed into chopped up chocolate, then stirred with butter.

Layer it, cool it in the fridge, and shortly before serving, slice some fresh banana on top and brush them with heated apricot jelly.
There may have been four layers, but this was the easiest tart I've ever thrown together. It tasted like all the best parts of a banana split.

I would make this again in a heartbeat, but only if I had company coming for dinner. It's pretty, for one, but more importantly, it's quite rich, and I don't think the top layer of bananas will last long enough for Matt and I to eat it on our own. We kept a slice each for tonight's dessert, and sent the remainder off to the USO. I may regret that decision tomorrow.

Conclusion: Loved it.

I made last week's Provencal Olive Fougasse on time, but, as is becoming my habit, I didn't blog about it. All I can say is OH MAH GOD. I'm addicted to it. One bread was the star of my favorite type of dinner--small plates of meats and cheese and veg to grab at and nibble on--and I brought the second to a friend's graduation part last Saturday, where it promptly vanished. One friend said, "I hate olives, but I LOVE this!" Dorie Greenspan: forcing people to reevaluate their tastes, one mouthful at a time. 

Conclusion: Loved it.

22 comments:

  1. Since we are leaving on a trip I decided against making this one even though I just know I would love it. It sure looks delicious here! Whats not to like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, this tart came together so easy. Believe it or not, the bananas do last on the top, I think it must be
    the glaze, cause they did not turn. We enjoyed it very much, as well as the Olive fougasse. I can't
    believe all these delicious recipes we have been making. Your tart looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This wasn't a favorite of mine, but everyone else in the house la-oved it... And that bread, well, yum :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. This tart came together much more easily than I was expecting. I'm addicted too! I'm making another this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny because I actually found it to be a pain in the ass to make. Waaay too much waiting around after each step for me. But it certainly was tasty at the end. We agree, too rich for more than a slice per sitting, but still very good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be making this again too! An excellent company dessert. Yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tart looks great and the fougasse - OMG the fougasse! I am obsessed too! I loved it so much! I still have a wedge of this tart sitting in the fridge and the bananas are just ever so slightly brown. I'll probably still eat them but I agree that I would only make this again if I was having a bigger crowd over.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious! I thought it was going to be more difficult than it was too. So nice when we are wrong about things like that, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hah, love the idea (that I also ascribe to, except I bagged on the olives) that Dorie forces us to expand our food horizons! I loved this one too, and YES to it being the best parts of a banana split.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yours looks great! I still found this to be a lot of work only because my caramelized bananas turned into mush, so that slightly irritated me. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was shocked at how easy it was too. It took me FOREVER because of all the freezing/chilling/waiting but there really wasn't a lot of hands-on time.

    Yours looks delicious! I love those long slices of banana - I can never figure out how to do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks good! We shared ours, too. It would have been too much for us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the shape of your sliced bananas. How wonderful of you to share your tart.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ei, I hoped you passed on your clever little thought to the Mistress of FFWD: "Dorie Greenspan: forcing people to reevaluate their tastes, one mouthful at a time". She loved stuff like that. You're right, this sounded like a complicated pseudo-Thomas Keller recipe with all its steps and layers but it wasn't. Surprised me also. And, yes, it's a "for company" dessert. Too rich for a "single" like me or even a "couple" like the two of you. Not that we all couldn't eat it up and lick the plate, it's that we shouldn't. The fougasse, simply wonderful and when you get to Naples, use that flour and you'll just be amazed at how much better it is (good, better, best) applies here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous tart- you made it look very easy! And I totally agree, Miz Dorie gently urges us into new food horizons in a marvelous way! Cheers; I enjoy cooking along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think the crust for this tart is one that I will make again and again. I think it will be perfect with lots of different fillings!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This has been a good Dorie month, hasn't it? And you're right about the topping...we have a couple sad slices leftover~

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lots of steps, but you are right, it was easier than it read. Just like so many of Dorie's recipes, I think this one has so many possibilities. Just like the amazing fougasse!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks delish! Glad to hear this wasn't too difficult. I haven't made this yet, so I'm so grateful for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My guys loved it but in all honesty I am still trying to drop my Creme brûlée pounds :) That said, I was delighted at how crazy easy the ganache part was. Had no idea that a bit of microwaving would result in that glorious filling. Look out hips ......

    ReplyDelete
  21. Funny that you thought it worked up quick while I thought it took a long time, lol! Looks great, glad you liked it, we did too. I took mine to work, way too much tart for 3!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What amazing discipline! I don't think I could have made myself give this away after only one piece :-) Reading this made me wish I still had more of it...

    ReplyDelete