Friday, May 25, 2012

FFwD: Lyonnaise Garlic and Herb Cheese

It was pretty much a no-brainer that I'd love this week's French Friday's with Dorie recipe: Lyonnaise Garlic and Herb Cheese (pg 20 of Around My French Table). Mix oil, red wine vinegar, garlic and herbs into ricotta cheese. Smear on bread. Smile.

Thank goodness it was such a simple recipe, because my brain went wonky while I was shopping for the ingredients. Who knows what would have become of a recipe that involved work? I have a glitch where, 7 times out of 10, I see that a recipe calls for shallots, and think, "Oh good, I have those in the fridge." However, I don't have shallots. I have scallions. I see the word shallot, and I visualize a scallion. I read the word shallot, and I buy a scallion. I do it all the time. I did it this time. I have no explanation.

I used up all my tarragon on a chicken earlier this week, so I took Dorie's recipe as a guideline, and used the herbs I had on hand: basil, chives, thyme, and parsley. And extra garlic, because garlic makes the world better. Stinkier, but better.

This is one of those tasty, satisfying, simple ideas that make me kick myself for needing a recipe for it at all. Why haven't I been doing this my whole life? It's such a logical food combination.

Conclusion: Loved it.


15 comments:

  1. I love this post! Straightforward recipe, straightforward response... smile. :) I can't wait to try this on all kinds of things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't make this one, since I was camping in the woods with teenagers, but now I wish I had. Maybe this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hhhm, our tables look quite similar, I think mine too have some roasted peppers and salami. Great minds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stinky & better :-) Garlic is awesome.
    Glad this was a "love" - have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! Glad you "found" this!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. When making lasagnas I often add basil and garlic to the ricotta, but never thought of eating it by itself until now either. Nice little spread!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mine could have used more garlic!

    still delicious

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you must have loved yours because you used extra garlic - always a good move!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear you liked it. I'll take a pass on this for next time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Extra garlic? Why not? "Smear on bread. Smile." Made me smile. I think scallion substituted for shallot in this one would be fine. Dorie would totally approve of using what you have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you enjoyed! I bet the extra garlic is the key :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. shallot...scallion...onion...done!
    GARLIC....mmmmmm :-)
    BACON....same.....:-)
    XXXOOO

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's all allium to me. :) Running out of pantry staple is annoying but sometimes substitution may yield even better result! I made this dish much too long ago and totally forgotten about it. Thanks for reminding me! Looks like it'll be a good candidate for potluck next week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you receive this comment - do nt know your e-mail address. I know you are on your way to Naples in the future. There is a new book just out entitled, "Naples Declared: A Walk Around the Bay". It's by Benjamin Taylor. It was reviewed in the NYTimes this morning and the negative things that the reviewer pointed out would actually be things I would enjoy about the book: "too many visits to mnonuments, palaces, fortresses and other spots that evoke the city's turbulent past." Thought you might be interested. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm trying to be more relaxed about ingredient substitutions. I forget which ingredients I have at home, write the wrong things on my list, and space out when I'm at the store all of the time. Luckily, for most recipes it really doesn't matter, they'll still taste great. I'm glad you enjoyed this one! I think I would've like it better with ricotta.

    ReplyDelete