Thursday, March 6, 2014

Enh

There's not much to say about the recipe for Soft Scrambled Eggs with Ricotta (without chives) from pg 15 of The Epicurious Cookbook. It's scrambled eggs. With ricotta. It tastes exactly as you would expect it to. Did I like it? Well enough. Would I make it again? Nah.
Conclusion: Just okay.

If I ever create a recipe, I'll make sure to omit the superlatives in its title. The outcome can only suffer from inflated expectation. I made Amazing Chocolate Chip-Peanut Butter Cookies (pg 283) for my husband to bring to a poker night last weekend. They're intro describes them as "crisp on the outside and gooey on the inside." I fiddled around with the baking time with each sheet that went in the oven, and never achieved that effect. The day I baked these, I thought they were dry, even when I practically undercooked them, and the peanut flavor (provided by chopped peanuts and Reese's peanut butter chips) didn't pack much punch. My big takeaway was that I want to add chopped peanuts and Reese's peanut butter chips to my gold standard Toll House chocolate chip cookie recipe, and in the future, that's what I'd do.
I concede that these became moister and more flavorful overnight. Not sure how the moisture level change. Maybe the peanuts released oil or something. They were much better the next day.

That said, everyone at poker night devoured/raved about them, so maybe I'd feel more kindly toward them if the book hadn't amped them up so much. Regardless, I'll stick with adding things to Toll House's recipe next time.

Conclusion: Just okay, as far as cookies go. Don't get me wrong, I ate my fair share. Not as good as they could be, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment