Monday, June 24, 2013

FFwD: Back of the Card Cheese and Olive Bread

Ah, the best laid plans of mice and men...

I had a grand scheme to catch up on all of this month's Dorie recipes for a BBQ we were hosting on Sunday. I wanted to see my friends one last time before heading home to NY for a month, and thought that this month's recipes--Goat Cheese and Strawberry Tartine (though mine was going to be ricotta cheese and cherry tartine), this cheesy bread, and Sable Breton Galette--would all fit in nicely.

Saturday night, Charlie came down with a fever and a raspy cough. All plans were cancelled, as I need him to feel better by Wednesday. The only thing worse than flying for 10 hours alone with a 3 year old is flying for 10 hours alone with a sick 3 year old.

I'd already made the Back of the Card Cheese and Olive Bread, but I didn't get to the other 2. The galette dough is waiting in the freezer for me, and will make a nice treat upon my return.

So, about that bread.

I used Dorie's bon idea and used pesto instead of tapenade. My Italian-inspired add-ins were salt-cured olives, toasted pine nuts, sun dried tomatoes, basil, chives, crisped prosciutto, and asiago cheese.

I think I loved how this smelled more than how it actually tasted, but it was good. I prefer the other savory cheese and chive bread in Around My French Table, though. Something about the texture of this one was less enjoyable than it could be, but I can't put my finger on the problem. Regardless, it was still good.

One of these days, I'll make up the ever-growing list of recipes I've missed. July's recipes will likely be on that list, as I'm not bringing my book to NY. Oh well. Add 'em to the list!

4 comments:

  1. My kids loved this but I did not. Good thinking trying the bon idee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! I love all your add-ins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry that this bread was not a keeper for you. I hope that Charlie is feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope your trip is fun and that your son got well!

    ReplyDelete