Sunday, June 26, 2011

Steak & Eggs, With Flair

I've never had steak and eggs. I like steak. I like eggs. I'm not opposed to the idea of putting them together, but steak never seemed like the type of food that creamy, runny yolk would improve. Hoping for a pleasant surprise, I made Giada's Grilled Tuscan Steak with Fried Egg and Goat Cheese (pg 106).

I know I've mentioned this before, but cooking steak makes me uncomfortable. I usually just let Matt do it. I gave it a go myself this time. After seasoning with salt, pepper, and herbs de provence, I grilled two rib-eyes for five minutes per side. They turned out to be a decent medium-rare. I was hoping for rare, but oh well. The instructions say to grill the steaks for 6-8 minutes per side for medium rare, but  I have no doubt that these would have been well done if I'd waited that long.

I served the steak on top of fresh arugula, according to Giada's suggestion in the intro. A fried egg tops the steak (sunny-side-up, which the recipe gives you, skeeves me out), and crumbled goat cheese tops the egg. You're supposed to throw some parsley on top, but I didn't want to buy some just for this.

So, was steak and eggs all it's hyped up to be? Honestly, I don't really see what the big deal is. The egg annoyed me a little, because the steak was quite fatty and needed a good deal of trimming, and all that stuff on top of it made it hard to see where to cut. I think I'd prefer an egg on a leaner cut.
 For me, the goat cheese tied the egg and steak together. Without it, I don't know that I'd have liked this as much as I did. It contributed a creaminess that complemented the yolk, but with a tang that went great with the steak. The cheese also balanced out the arugula, and made it pleasantly peppery, instead of overwhelmingly bitter.

Conclusion: Liked it. Matt cleaned his plate and said it would be a perfect breakfast. False. Pancakes are the perfect breakfast. No contest. That said, I can see myself working this into our rotation of standard dinners. 

2 comments:

  1. Hmm...I've never had steak and eggs together either. But, this looks tasty enough that I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to be the bearer of bad news on this particular recipe but its nutritional stats are so remarkably unhealthy that they are "out of the park", so to speak. Only extremely physically active people like pro athletes can eat this kind of food, and even they probably shouldn't do it on a regular basis.
    Rib-eye steak:
    cholesterol 251 MG (85% of daily allowance)
    Fat 25MG ( 38% of daily allowance and 21g of saturated fat which is 110% of daily allowance for saturated fat!!!)
    egg:
    cholesterol 210 MG (70% of daily allowance)
    Fat 7g (11% of daily allowance)
    goat cheese:
    cholesterol 13MG (4%)
    Fat 6 g most of which is saturated ( 24% of daily allowance for saturated fat!!!)
    WAY too much saturated fat and cholesterol!

    ReplyDelete