Thursday, August 29, 2013

FFwD Makeup: (Tuna) with Frilly Herb Salad

You gain one, you lose one. I fully intended to make this week's French Fridays with Dorie recipe today. I mean, it's for Floating Islands. I've only eaten this dessert once, in Paris, but I lo-o-oved it. However, we're driving five hours south, to the town right next to Tropea, tomorrow, and I've run out of time and ingredients (didn't want to buy more eggs, milk, etc.) Mark my words, I will make this next week. Maybe mark my words in pencil. My track record with Dorie recipes these days is not great.

I did, however, catch up on a recently-missed recipe. I couldn't get my hands on swordfish, so I subbed it with tuna to make Tuna with Frilly Herb Salad. The marinade had a great flavor. I suspect that the caper juice is the ingredient that made the dish. I'd never think to use caper juice. Neat.
There's fish in there somewhere. I promise.
The supermarkets here sell Italian herbs. Period. Basil. Parsley. Sage. Rosemary. Now that I think about it, I haven't seen fresh oregano. Interesting. Anyway, my herb mixture was a lot less interesting than Dorie's. I stuck with Basil and Parsley, and laid the whole thing out on some arugula. I miss tarragon. I should plant some. Not that my efforts to grow herbs have gone so well. Cilantro and dill each grew one stalk, then died. Thyme died. Unsurprisingly, the only things thriving are basil, parsley, and mint. Maybe I should take that as a sign not to bother growing tarragon.

Anyway, this was a nice meal, and easy to throw together, since the fish needs to marinate for a while.

1 comment:

  1. I have a totally brown thumb when it comes to herbs :-)
    This was a great dish - I am sure it was perfect with the tuna.

    ReplyDelete