Friday, January 27, 2012

FFwD: Broth-Braised Potatoes

I totally forgot to post for French Fridays with Dorie this week. I didn't forget to cook, just to blog about it. Things are nutso here. Charlie has had a respiratory and ear infection all week, it was his birthday on Wednesday, and we're having a party for him on Saturday, so between cleaning and cooking and coddling, I haven't thought much about blogging. It didn't help that I posted about Broth-Braised Potatoes (pg 358 of Around My French Table) last May.

The first time around, I loved these simple potatoes, boiled in broth and herbs. This time, I wasn't as wowed. They were fine, but not especially memorable. One difference, which might be the key, is that the first time, I bought baby (or maybe fingerling?) potatoes, as specified in the recipe. This time, I just used the red potatoes that I had in the house. They weren't nearly as velvety and soft as the potatoes of my memory. Note to self: respect the type of potato called for in a recipe.
Still, it's a lovely, easy potato recipe, and one which I should make more often.

12 comments:

  1. Respect the potato! Maybe that's why I wasn't wowed by this one either. Have a great weekend and a wonderful party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it's because red potatoes are meant to be a little firmer despite cooking. I know with the Yukon gold, the potatoes turned out nice and soft. Glad you liked your first try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, potatoes are kinda blah and are rarely a memorable part of a meal unless you do things to them. And, you are right, lots of varieties to choose from and all cook differently...I admit I added extra herbs and flavorings to this recipe and we liked it, but I wouldn't say we were "wowed" by it...I like the idea that they did have a nice flavor without all the extra fat I usually add...made Hubby happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe it's part potato type, and part the possibility that your tastes have changed as your cooking repertoire has grown. I know mine have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to Charlie! Hope he feels better in time for his party.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting, I liked this recipe but now I'm wondering how using different potatoes might effect the outcome???

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used red potatoes and liked this, but I had nothing to compare to. I do love fingerling potatoes no matter how they are prepared. Happy Birthday to Charlie! BTW, I'm almost finished with The Night Circus which you recommended a while back. Love it! My book group just finished The Tiger Wife, which was really good if you haven't read that one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was wondering if the type of potatoes selected made a difference as I have been reading some posts that said their potatoes didn't have much flavor. I hope Charlie is feeling better and that you have a fun party.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope Charlie gets well soon and things at the home front calm down soon. I'm quite pleased with them once turned into potato salad. Have a great party!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now you have me wondering - should I try them again with baby potatoes? Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Respect the potato! Hope your family is feelin gbetter and you had a great party. Loved this one.

    ReplyDelete