Friday, January 13, 2012

FFwD: M. Jacques' Armagnac Chicken

I've cooked this week's French Fridays with Dorie recipe many times before, and I certainly don't need an excuse to cook M. Jacques' Armagnac Chicken (pg 204 of Around My French Table) again.  It's so easy and so delicious.

I've always roasted chicken with herbs, onions, carrots, and potatoes in the same pot. I never knew that simply pouring 1/2 cup of brandy in the pot, putting the lid on, and basically letting the whole shebang steam in the oven for an hour would produce such a moist bird with such delicious vegetables. I'm curious to see if any of the other Doristas managed to get a "beautifully browned chicken." It happened for me the very first time I made this, and hasn't since then. Since the bird is steaming, covered, it makes sense that the skin wouldn't crisp up. I just find it strange that Dorie goes out of her way to tell you to admire it's beauty. Oh well, nothing that a minute under the broiler can't solve.
I don't have the money to shell out for a bottle of Armagnac--especially since I'm certain we won't finish it before we move--so I've only made this recipe using cheap brandy, and it still tastes good. I know nothing about Armagnac, but I'm guessing it makes everything even better.

This time, I tried Dorie's Bonne Idee of adding some prunes in with the vegetables. The sweetness played well with the back-bite of the white pepper. I'm going to continue to use them, going forward.

Conclusion: Love it. The meat stays so tender, and the gravy left in the bottom of the pan is sooo good. I could eat it with a spoon. Charlie was revolted by every piece of it. At least he tasted the chicken, a carrot, and a potato, but you'd think I was feeding him maggots from the expression on his face. I had to scramble and cook some tortellini. I need to send the tortellini company flowers or something. They're one of my few foolproof Charlie foods. Oh well--more chicken for me.

21 comments:

  1. I used brandy too and added prunes to it. It was wonderful and I will be making this again for it doesnt involve much work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad this one gets the Eileen seal of approval. It seems I missed out by not adding the prunes. I might have to sneak in a few without DH knowing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your chicken looks wonderful! I scoured my cabinet for prunes but didn't have any. Good to know they are worth adding and will try them in the future. Poor Charlie - hopefully one day he will discover how good so many things are. Until then, more delicious chicken for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We loved this at our house. I'm definitely going to try it with the prunes next time. It sounds like they add a whole other dimension to the dish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always believed that having pasta, butter and grated cheese works for anyone. That was always a go to
    dish for my kids, and even the grandchildren. (I love it too) Your chicken looks great, I like the addition of the prunes. I am going to try that next time. We really enjoyed this dish and will be making it again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am with you - I loved this too, although can't distinguish it as being better than roast chicken in general.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't say my meal was beautiful. The chicken did not have a great "done" look. But it was an easy, flavorful meal and my family enjoyed it. The veges were our favorite part. Next time I plan to add more goodies to the pot, such as the prunes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny how the same dish can invoke such polar reactions. I'll have to try adding prunes next time. Did they melt to thicken the sauce a bit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They didn't melt into the sauce nearly as much as I expected them to, and I don't think they served to thicken it. I think they just changed the flavor a bit, with a pleasantly sweet note.

      Delete
  9. I can see this one becoming my go to roast chicken recipe, so easy and so tasty. It wins over the lazy chicken recipe simply because the sauce is so amazing. At some point maybe I'll even give the prunes a try.

    And honestly, did anyone use armagnac? I used cognac and it tasted great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used cognac as well and used dried figs instead of prunes, the sauce was nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm impressed that you can not only keep up with the recipes, but also cook ahead! I haven't made any recipe more than once as of yet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm going to have to try this dish with prunes next time. It sounds like they worked really well with the sweet brandy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't think I've ever made a moister roast chicken. I was wishing for crispy skin, but still loved it. (I'll have to try the broiler next time.) I made mine with (very) cheap brandy and prunes, and it was lovely. I can't wait to make it again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry that Charlie didn't like it. I was also curious about Dorie's comment to stop and admire the perfectly browned bird. That's why I left mine in longer because it was not browned at 60 minutes. I am glad that I also put the prunes in the pot because I don't think it would have had the same sweetness and rich flavor without them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't understand how Dorie got a 'golden' chicken either. Still I loved it and we just removed the skin. I wish I had added prunes since I also didn't use Armagnac. I'd like to try it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mine was decidedly not "beautifully browned." Oh love the idea of giving it a minute or two under the broiler!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was confused about the chicken skin, too. I don't know how it could possibly brown when it's covered the whole time! I like your broiler idea, I'll definitely try that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your are so right with the comment about "beautifully browned" throwing me. Even my husband was like - how could it have been crispy with the lid on ? I know but guess this goes to show how much I trust Dorie :) Not sure I will revisit this one as it stands, but I may give it some 2nd chance with Costco chickens next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, the pasty looking thing that came out of the oven did not fit my idea of beautifully browned...
    Glad it was a hit for you. I owe Kraft Mac N Cheese a bouquet in my house - we would never have made it through without them...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm late to the party (again) and will be making this tonight so will let you know if the skin crisps up. I guess "brown" is subjective and certainly doesn't also mean crisp. Hmmm.... there is that broiler... :)

    ReplyDelete