Wednesday, January 4, 2012

If I Were a Magician, I'd Name Myself "Adobo the Great."

Confetti Chili (pg 187) earns its title "because it is flecked with multicolored vegetables" that "add excitement and texture." I think someone may be getting a little overzealous about the fun to be had by adding a carrot, a red pepper, and some corn to your chili.

That said, this was a perfectly respectable version of a healthy chili. It's been years since I've made a normal, not-packed-with-veg chili, so I'd be hard-pressed to say how it would compare.
Cumin, oregano, and coriander are the only spices added, and most of the flavor comes from one minced canned chipotle chili in adobo sauce. Those things are amazing, if you've never cooked with one. Nice and smoky, with a good kick. The flavor was good, but I was surprised that this recipe doesn't call for any chili powder. I think it could have used some. Or more salt. Something was missing.

Conclusion: Liked it, though next time, I'd play around with the spicing.

1 comment:

  1. Adobo the Great, huh? Funny.
    I do love those little guys. They are a crucial ingredient in my tortilla soup. Without them, its just chicken soup with tortillas floating in it :-)

    ReplyDelete