Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Tonight, We Finished the Leftovers

Praise the Refrigerator Gods! Matt lunched on our last bit of lasagne today, and for dinner we had a lovely combo of cauliflower gratin and stuffed cabbage. I fear it may be a stinky night. TMI? Sorry.

Because Green Pea Soup (pg 84) is mostly frozen peas in chicken broth, I was afraid that it would taste like the baby food puree I used to make for Charlie. Who'd have known that sauteed onion, tarragon, and a spoonful of Greek yogurt would make such a difference. This soup was remarkably tasty, especially considering that it took all of ten minutes to make.
 Conclusion: Liked it. This is a perfect soup if you're sick, because odds are you've got the ingredients in the house, and it takes no effort.

I forgot how much I love homemade granola and how much better it is than store-bought. Commercial brands always seem to coat my tongue in coconut oil, and I don't like how sweet they are. Gross. Nutty Granola (pg 38) is exactly right. No oil involved, and lightly sweetened with maple syrup and a dash of cinnamon. Crunchy, lots of nuts, just enough raisins.
Conclusion: Loved it, and I have a bucket-full now. With a bowl of yogurt and Ellie's recommended serving size, it kept me full for a good long time.

2 comments:

  1. We're still working through the New Years leftovers and I'm trying to ignore the remaining cookie dough which is still stashed in my freezer from Christmas. I can't say that I've ever heard of Ellie before (I'm so out of touch now that I don't get Food TV) but her cookbook doesn't sound bad at all. I'm actually hungry for pea soup now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! A Twofer! I like it when you've got two recipes you like in one go :) Digging that soup

    ReplyDelete