Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Man Can Not Live By Gougeres Alone

Two days. Two days is the time it takes for my family to finish off an entire batch of gougeres. I'm out of cheese, so I can't make more. Hoping for a quick substitute that Charlie might deign to fill up on, I baked Saint-Germain-des-Pres Onion Biscuits (pg 8). It tastes like a biscuit with onions in it. hahaha--I have such a talent for stating the obvious, don't you think? There's not much else to say about them. They're flatter and thinner than a standard Southern biscuit, are crusty-crunchy on the bottom and moist inside. They reminded me more of a scone, but I'm not clear on the technical distinction between a biscuit and a scone, so I'll take Dorie's word for it that this is a biscuit.
Conclusion: Liked it. They were simple to make and are tastier, because of the onion, than a standard biscuit. They went well with my asparagus soup lunch, and I know I ate more of them than I should have. Charlie's not crazy about them. I never know what this boy will eat.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, the minute you said aspargus soup, I perked up! I'll have to make that as the dish that goes with these biscuits.

    ReplyDelete